Chinese New Year is a time to rejoice, reunite and feast with your family and friends. Don’t know what to bring to the table this year? Try making Braised Coca-Cola Chicken! Juicy and tender chicken leg coated with sweet and savoury sauce, it’s definitely the perfect match for rice. The sauce is also perfect for braising tofu, mushroom, and basically anything you want to throw in the pot.
We used the entire chicken leg for this recipe, but you can definitely substitute with any other parts of the meat. This is the recipe to go for if you need to cook to impress this CNY. It’s also perfect for meal prep as the rice will soak up all savoury goodness from the sauce.
Servings: 2-4 person
Time: 2 hours
|4 cloves||Garlic, smashed|
|1 bunch||Spring Onion / Scallion|
|4||Dried Shiitake Mushrooms|
|1||Medium Firm Tofu, sliced into cubes|
|2 cans||Coca Cola (300ml)|
|1 ½ tbsp||Dark Soy Sauce|
|5 tbsp||Soy Sauce|
|2 tbsp||Soy Sauce|
- Marinate chicken leg with 2 tbsp of soy sauce for 20 mins.
- Boil the eggs on high heat for 10-12 minutes. Submerge in cold water after boiling. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Soak the dried Shiitake mushroom in hot water.
- Slice the ginger. Smash the garlic in cloves.
- Tie the spring onions / scallions up into a knot.
- Heat the oil using medium high heat. Stir fry the sliced ginger, garlic, dried chilies and star anise until fragrant.
- Add the chicken leg into the pot, skin side down. Sear until brown, then flip to the other side and repeat the step.
- Add the spring onion/scallion into the pot.
- Add Coca Cola, soy sauce and dark soy sauce into the pot, stir and coat chicken with sauce. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn back to low heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add Shiitake mushroom, tofu and hard-boiled egg to the pot. Let it simmer for 1 hour. (Check the chicken every 10 minutes, scooping from the bottom with a spatula to avoid burning.)
- Taste the sauce, add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Turn to high heat and boil uncovered to reduce the sauce.
- Serve over warm rice and blanched vegetables. You can also meal prep in individual container for the next day!